The oldest record discovered so far which documents the presence of Romans in Lezzeno, is a fragment of a gravestone which has been reused for the base of the the parish church bell tower. It is dated between 1st – 2nd century AD. The first records on paper documenting events taking place in Lezzeno date back to the year 981. The documents are deeds of sale which claim the patrimonial capacity of the inhabitants of this town. From 981 to 1780 Lezzeno was a part of the parish of the island (Pieve d’Isola) with its center being Comacina Island, on which a number of Roman time ruins have also been found.
The first centuries of the millennium
The first two centuries of the millennium reveal that Lezzeno to allied with Milan in a war between Como and Milan. When the war ended in 1169, with Como being victorious and allied with the Emperor Frederick Barbarossa, it resulted in the destruction of the island and also another plundering of the town of Lezzeno.
At the Begin of 13th Century
At the beginning of 13th Century the first records of authonomy of the Municipality of Lezzeno were produced. The consuls mentioned in some documents had the power to resolve disputes between the inhabitants of the various hamlets. In those documents it is stated that Lezzeno is divided into “Upper Lezzeno” and “Lower Lezzeno”, however even with this distinction, the documents show a very unified community. In 1535, when Charles V rose to the throne of Spain, Lezzeno was under Spanish rule and remained this way until the death of Charles II of Spain in 1736 when the Duchy of Milan became part of the Austrian empire.